Saturday, October 26, 2013

I lift up my eyes to the hills Psalm 121:1



DAY 27 MORNING PSALM 120- 125

DAY 27 EVENING PSALM 126-131

The coal miners of Newcastle upon Tyne, in the far north of England, were illiterate, rough and godless. In May 1742 Wesley set out for the North, and when he arrived he ‘was dismayed by the uncouthness of the Tynesiders: half of them appeared to be drunk; even the children swore.

About seven o’clock in the morning of Sunday May 30, 1742, he walked with John Taylor down Sandgate, then the poorest part of the town, and stood at the pump. They began to sing ‘All people that on earth do dwell” to the “Old hundredth” a tune known to any Englishman who had ever ventured into a church. Three or four people came out to see what was the matter” Wesley called out the text from Isaiah 53:5,’ He was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities; the chastisement of our peace was upon him and with his stripes we are healed.” The crowd grew until the street and every side alley was packed; people stood on the town walls or hung our windows of the houses. Observing the people when I had done, to stand gaping and staring upon me, with the most profound astonishment, I told them, ‘If you desire to know who I am, my name is John Wesley. At five in the evening, with God’s help, I design to preach here again,”

At five the hill on which I designed to preach was covered, from the top to the bottom. I never saw so large a number of people together, either at Moorfields, or at Kennington Common. I knew it was not possible for the one half to hear, although my voice was then strong and clear; and I stood so as to have all in view, as they were ranged on the side of a hill. ‘After preaching, the poor people were ready to tread me underfoot, out of pure love and kindness. It was some time before I could possibly get out of the press. I then went back another way than I came; but several were got to our inn before me; by whom I was vehemently opportuned to stay with them, at least a few days or … one day more.” ’

• Lord we look to you, we lift our eyes to you. You are the one from whom our help comes. May the gospel go out to the poor in our nation once again. We pray that the thirsty would come to you and drink. Just as they responded to Wesley, eager to hear and respond to the good news, almost ‘treading him underfoot out of pure love and kindness,’ we pray for todays poor- the oppressed, the neglected, the elderly, the fatherless, the single parents, the lonely and those who face all their trials and challenges without God and without hope. Melt their hearts with your love today we pray.

REFERENCES

Wesley: the Preacher, Pollock, J. 157,158.

No comments:

Post a Comment