Wednesday, October 16, 2013

The God who saves me. Psalm 88: 1


• DAY 17 MORNING PSALM 86-88

• DAY 17 EVENING PSALM 89

Wesley saw many individuals come to saving faith and many delivered and set free from deception. He tells the story of a weaver who was very skeptical at first, but who was powerfully delivered from the oppression of the enemy.

'Tuesday May 2 1739.

I did not mention ...a weaver who was at Baldwin-Street the night before. He was (I understood) a man of a regular life and conversation, one that constantly attended the public prayers and sacrament, and was zealous for the Church, and against Dissenters of every denomination. Being informed ....that people fell into strange fits at the societies he came to see and judge for himself but he was less satisfied than before insomuch that he went about to his acquaintance one after another, till one in the morning, and laboured above measure to convince them it was a delusion of the devil. We were going home when one met us in the street and informed us that (the weaver) was fallen raving mad. It seems he had sat down to dinner, but had a mind first to end a sermon he had borrowed on ‘Salvation by faith.’ In reading the last page he changed colour fell off his chair, and began screaming terribly and beating himself against the ground. The neighbours were alarmed, and flocked together to the house. Between one and two I came in, and found him on the floor, the room being full of people, whom his wife would have kept without; but he cried aloud, “No; let them all come; let all the world see the just judgment of God.” Two or three men were holding him as well as they could. He immediately fixed his eyes upon me and, stretching out his hand cried “Ay, this is he who I said was a deceiver of the people. But God has overtaken me. I said, it was all a delusion; but this is no delusion.” He then roared out, “O thou devil! Thou cursed devil. Yea thou legion of devils! Thou canst not stay. Christ will cast thee out. I know his work is begun . Tear me to pieces, if thou wilt; but thou canst not hurt me.” He then beat himself against the ground again; his breast having at the same time as in the pangs of death and great drops of sweat trickling down his face. We all betook ourselves to prayer. His pangs ceased and both his body and soul was set at liberty.'

• Isaiah 35:4 says 'Be strong, fear not.. HE WILL COME AND SAVE YOU.' Come and save and deliver me Lord. Rescue me from the oppression of the enemy. Show me where I am bound and set me free. We pray that you would ignite a revival in England that saves us from sin and selfishness and drives out every bit of darkness in our land. Bring strong conviction of sin. Open up your wells of salvation and deliverance... Lord, that the bodies and souls of the oppressed might be set at liberty. Lord hear our cry!

REFERENCES
Wesley, J. Journal, Tuesday May 2nd 1739 , Vol 1, 190, 191

1 comment:

  1. AMEN! Lord how we need You!! give us loud voice from deep within to cry to You in our time of need . . . (so blessed by these devotions Andrew, scary stuff! - TY)

    ReplyDelete