Sunday, October 20, 2013

Make known among the nations what he has done Psalm 105:1



• DAY 21 MORNING PSALM 105

• DAY 21 EVENING PSALM 106

John Wesley described early in the Methodist revival in a June entry of his Journal in 1739 the reason why he preached the Gospel and the nature of his commission.

I do not think it hard to justify whatever I do. God in Scripture commands me, according to my power, to instruct the ignorant, reform the wicked, confirm the virtuous. Man forbids me to do this in another’s parish; that is, in effect, to do it at all, seeing I have now no parish of my own, nor probably ever shall. Whom then shall I hear, God or man?

“I look upon all the world as my parish; thus far I mean, that, in whatever part of it I am, I judge it meet, right, and my bounden duty to declare unto all that are willing to hear, the glad tidings of salvation. This is the work which I know God has called me to; and sure I am that His blessing attends it. Great encouragement have I, therefore, to be faithful in fulfilling the work He hath given me to do. His servant I am, and, as such, am employed according to the plain direction of His Word, ‘As I have opportunity, doing good unto all men’; and His providence clearly concurs with his Word; which has disengaged me from all things else, that I might singly attend on this very thing, ‘and go about doing good.’”

Many years later, when approaching seventy Wesley wrote to John Fletcher of Madeley, whom he had thought might succeeed him and who was then forty-four ‘What an amazing work has God wrought in these kingdoms in less than forty years. And it not only increases throughout England, Scotland and Ireland; nay it has spread into New York, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Maryland and Carolina.’

As the years passed, Fletchers health failed and he died prior to John Wesley. The work that God had started would progress even further around the nations through others that he would raise up.

• Thank you for calling us to this task of going into ALL THE WORLD to make disciples. We ask you for the NATIONS.They are your inheritance. Help us according to your power, to instruct the ignorant, reform the wicked, confirm the virtuous, to make the glad tidings of salvation known among the NATIONS… to make known what you have done Lord, IN ALL THE WORLD

REFERENCES


Wesley, J. Journal, April 27th - May 1st 1739 , Vol 1, 189, 190

Pollock, J. Wesley:The Preacher, Kingsway, 247.

No comments:

Post a Comment