Thursday, January 23, 2014

Isaiah 35:8 The unclean will not journey on it;


• DAY 24 BIBLE READING

2 Thess 1- 1 Tim 6


• DAY 24 PRAYER DEVOTIONAL

Isaiah 35:8

SET APART – CLEANSED FROM THE LUSTS OF THE FLESH -GREED

Nietsche foretold that money in Western culture would become perhaps its main counterfeit God. Tim Keller says that Jesus warns far more often about greed than about sex, yet almost no-one thinks they are guilty of it. Therefore we should all begin with a working hypothesis that this could easily be a problem for me.’ Paul says greed is a form of idolatry (Colossians 3:5, Ephesians 5:5) Luke teaches us the same thing in his Gospel. Jesus says to his listeners ‘Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed, for a man’s life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions. For Jesus greed is not just money but excessive anxiety about it,’ says Keller.

Paul’s letter to the Corinthians says: ‘ For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though he was rich, yet for your sake he became poor, so that you by his poverty might become rich 2 Corinthians 8,9. Keller explains what Paul is saying as, ’Jesus gave up all his treasure in heaven, in order to make you his treasure, for you are a treasured people ( I Peter 2:9-10) When you see him dying to make you his treasure, that will make him yours. Money will cease to be the currency of your significance and security, and you will want to bless others with what you have. To the degree that you grasp the Gospel, money will have no dominion over you. Think of his costly grace until it changes you into a generous people.


• Lord show me where money is an idol in my life and cleanse me, where money and greed has become an idol in my heart. I yield to you, my love for possessions, my love for the security that comes with a healthy bank balance. Set me apart, Lord from every form of greed.

No comments:

Post a Comment